Overby-Sheppard Elementary School is located at the lower end of the Highland Park section of Richmond, Virginia. The single story brick building which was constructed in 1976 is situated on 12 acres of land. Overby Sheppard was named in honor of two ladies, Ethel Thompson Overby and Eleanor Parker Sheppard. Eleanor Parker Sheppard was a politician. She was the first female mayor of the city of Richmond and a member of the Virginia House of Delegates. Ethel Thompson Overby was an educator and community worker. Mrs. Overby was among the first African American principals appointed by the school board of the city of Richmond.The current enrollment of Overby-Sheppard is 400 students. Our school is a neighborhood school and we consider each other FAMILY.
The mission of the Richmond Public Schools, the gateway to infinite possibilities, is to lead our students to extraordinary, honorable lives as inspirational global leaders who shape the future with intellect, integrity, and compassion through challenging, engaging learning experiences guided by highly qualified, passionate educators in partnership with families and communities.
We believe that...
1. Relationships built on honesty and mutual respect create responsible and effective communities.
2. Diversity is our strength; unity is our power.
3. Equity is a prerequisite for community vitality.
4. Everyone has worth and value and is integal to society.
5. Mental, emotional, physical, and spiritual health are essential for optimal learning.
6. High expectations are required to achieve goals, hopes, and dreams.
7. High quality education produces responsible citizens and vibrant communities.
8. Teaching and learning are essential to the human experience of growth and change.
9. Embracing change opens doors of possibilities.
10. Education is a shared responsibility of the entire community.
The goal of the educational program at Overby-Sheppard Elementary School is to provide an academic foundation for the future development and success of the student. In order to achieve this goal, there must be a relationship of mutual respect, cooperation and understanding among students, teachers, parents, and administrators. We must take into careful consideration the total child with his unique personality, ability, interests, and experiences, as each child develops to his fullest potential by providing for individual differences as well. We believe there must be a balance between academic and non-academic areas through a multi-disciplinary approach to learning. The structure of the classroom is organized to provide current school needs. The flexibility of our approach will allow us to take advantage of the changes in instruction, as we adapt to meet the many needs of children and our community.
All employees and students are expected to operate each day exemplifying the school's theme "We are taking our FLIGHT to new heights."
New School Uniform Recommendation
We are encouraging every student to wear their uniform on every even day of the school year! Please click on this link to view the flyer.
Each grade level composes and publishes "The Buzz" newsletter, which is distributed biweekly to our families. The principal sends home a monthly calendar with important dates and an attached newsletter at the beginning of each month.