If you have read the complete application process procedures (below), you can apply for a position. Required documents should be submitted electronically with the application. While electronically attaching all supporting documents is HIGHLY preferred, you may mail or drop off your supporting documents if necessary. You may also e-mail your documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions about the application process, you may contact Tim Williams (780-7864) in the Human Resources Department.
After the closing date of a position, all applications will be screened. Applicants who advance to the interview stage of the process will be contacted. After the final selection is made and upon School Board approval, all applicants will be notified electronically that the position has been filled.
Please note that vacancy announcements that are listed as “Open Until Filled” are on an extended recruitment schedule. Therefore, the process from recruitment through selection may appear to take longer than normal. If you apply for a position with this designation and would like to inquire about the status of the process, you may contact Tim Williams at 804-780-7864 for an update. Please wait at least 7 days after submission of your application and all supporting documents before making an inquiry.
Current Openings for 2014-2015 (but accepting applications in ALL areas):
- Math - High School
- Biology and Middle School Science
- Business Education
- Special Education
- Reading Specialist (Master's Required)
- Pre K-5
- Special Education PK-12
- Early Childhood Special Education
- Spanish (K-12)
- Library Media Specialist
- School Nurse
Substitute Applications are being accepted in the following areas:
- Bus Operator
- Instructional Assistant
- Security Specialist
- School Nurse
Thank you for your interest in employment with the Richmond Public Schools. To complete an application, please read the information below and follow the steps indicated:
Step 1: Application | Step 2: Appointment | Step 3: Orientation
Step 1: Application
To be considered as an applicant, you must provide the following:
- A completed application, which must be done online.
- Written references are mandatory from those who have supervised your performance. If you provide the e-mail of your references, the application system will send an e-mail reference form directly to them to complete electronically.
- Official transcripts are required upon employment
- Virginia Praxis II, VCLA, VRA and specialty scores, or a copy of your Virginia Licensure
- The U.S. Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization requires all applicants to submit proof of identity and the legal right to work in the United States. This evidence of proof--either the original or a notarized copy--must be shown to the individual interviewing you. A U.S. Passport or your driver license (with photograph) and social security card will be adequate in most cases. You will also be required to sign a federal government form verifying your identity and eligibility to work in the U.S.
Applications for all teaching positions are accepted on a continual basis. We do not create a specific posting for every teaching position. Candidates are asked to keep their applications current as positions sometimes open during the school year. If your application is more than six months old, you might consider updating it, so we are aware of your continued interest.
- Required documents should be submitted electronically with the application. While electronically attaching all supporting documents is HIGHLY preferred, you may mail or drop off your supporting documents if necessary. You may also e-mail your documents to email@example.com. If you have questions about the application process, you may contact Tim Williams (780-7864) in the Human Resources Department.
- Completed applications will be kept on file for one year. You should re-new your application annually.
- Fingerprinting, drug testing, and tuberculosis screening are requirements for employment.
It is the applicant's responsibility to have the following information provided to the School Division in order to be considered for employment:
- The names of at least three reference sources must be provided and must include current employer if employed, or last employer, if not currently employed.
- Applicants with work experience must provide recommendations from principals and/or superintendents from all contracted educational work experiences within the past three years. If experience was not within the past three years, provide references from last contracted experience. Applicants who are beginning teachers must include references from their student teaching supervisor(s) and co-operating teacher(s) or by listing names on application under Professional references. Failure to provide accurate information will result in a delay in the employment process.
Substitute Teacher and Instructional Assistant Requirements
- Applicants are required to have a minimum of 60 semester hours from an accredited institution. (Official transcripts should reflect a minimum of a 2.5 average)
- All applicants must submit two reference forms, completed by past or present supervisors.
- A criminal background investigation, tuberculosis and drug testing will be conducted as a condition of employment.
Selected candidates will not begin work until all required documents have been submitted and all pre employment screening has been successfully completed.
Step 2: Appointment
If you are recommended for employment, a representative of the Human Resources Department will contact you to offer the position and arrange a time to complete the necessary paperwork.
Please note: Only a representative of the Human Resources Department is authorized to make offers of employment.
Information about teacher licensure in Virginia
Step 3: Orientation
All new hires must attend a new employee orientation session following acceptance of employment. For new teachers, this orientation usually takes place in July or August.
Start the online application
^ back to top