RPS: A Mini History: Bits & Pieces

Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.

Munford (Mary) School 211 Westmoreland Avenue (Westmoreland Avenue between Grove Avenue & Cary Street Road)

Munford School was named in honor of Mary Cooke Branch Munford, a prominent civic leader and the first woman member of the School Board(1920-31). A portrait of Mrs. Munford is displayed in a University of Virginia residence hall which was also named in her honor.

Munford opened in September 1951, to relieve overcrowding at Albert Hill and Westhampton, and was dedicated on November 11,1952. The twenty­classroom building also included shops, auditorium, cafeteria, and library. Additional classrooms were added in 1954. An air conditioning project is under way in 1992.

Munford was built on property acquired by the School Board from the Beatty estate in January 1925. The 10.34 acres of land, described as "a beautiful lot," was intended to be the site of a West End high school. 'This plot is a short distance beyond the city limits, but will undoubtedly be annexed within the next few years...This lot is on the south side of Grove Avenue between Commonwealth and Westmoreland Avenues. It has a frontage of 463.13 feet and a depth of 935 feet."

Under Plan III, Munford was paired with Highland Park (Overby­Sheppard). Munford operates as a model elementary school with an "international studies" theme.

Enrollment: Sept. 1964 1,538 (junior high) + 1,071 (elementary)
  1951-1952 728 (Junior Primary-grade 6)
  1991-1992 422
Architect: 1950 Walford & Wright
  1954 Walford & Wright
Cost: 1950 $820,163
  1954 149,716
  1992 309,477
Principals: 1951-1975 Clarence Patrick Ely
  1975-1977 Jean F. Barnes
  1977-1978 Jean T. Edwards
  1978-1988 Russell Grant Harris, Jr.
  1988­ Dale C. Kalkofen
Login