RPS: A Mini History: Bits & Pieces

Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.

Maymont School 1211 South Allen Avenue (Allen Avenue at intersection with Amelia Street)

This 20-room school was named for the nearby Maymont Park.

Maymont School opened April 1, 1957, for Junior Primary-grade 6 pupils transferred from Randolph and West End. A dedication ceremony was held on May 25, 1958.

Sidney School operated as an annex to Maymont until September 1961, when it was used for special classes. Maymont operated as a middle school 1970-71, and as an annex to Amelia School beginning 1971-72. Since 1974­75, all Amelia/Maymont elementary school pupils have been housed at Maymont.

Under Plan III, Maymont was paired with Lee.

Enrollment: 1957 541
  1991-1992 264
Architect:   Baskervill & Son
Cost:   $495,400
Principals: 1957-1970 Charles Julius E. Burrell
  1970-1971 Joseph Rodman Ransome
  1971-1973 Elizabeth Ancell Crouch
  1973-1978 William Henry Harris
  1978-1979 Mary Lou Murphy
  1979-1984 Patricia Craigo Davis
  1985-1986 Alexander Dill, Jr.
  1986-1989 Alexander Dill, Jr.
  1989-1991 Sylvia C. Robinson
  1991-1992 Raymond Ashby Tarkington
  1992-1993 Mary R. Mason (Acting)
See:
Amelia Street School
Sidney School
Login