Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern
between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered
offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial
designations from its reports and publications.
19th & Marshall Streets
Marshall School was named for the street on which it was located; it opened in 1887, as a replacement for Bethel School (near 20th & Main Streets). Additional land was purchased for playground space in 1901-02. This school was renamed Jefferson School in 1909, to avoid confusion with the new John Marshall High School.
||Julian P. Thomas
||Albert H. Hill (Superintendent 1919-33)
||Jesse H. Binford (Superintendent 1933-46)
||A. H. Fitzgerald