Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern
between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered
offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial
designations from its reports and publications.
Johnson (Katherine L.) Building
100 West Baker Street
Prior to the 1979-80 session, this building was known as Baker School. At the request of the Central Richmond
Community Council, the name was changed to honor Katherine Louise Johnson, Baker's principal from 1942-67.
The Park program for pregnant girls was located here in 1979-87; also the Diagnostic & Prescriptive Center, 1980-88.
In 1983, an Emergency Jobs Bill grant provided improvements for Park (kitchen and eating area, toilet and washing
facilities, play space and isolation room, and demonstration areas). The Follow Through Parent Education Resource Center
and a truancy center were in this building in 1984. Until 1992-93, it also served as an annex to Carver.
The Katherine Johnson Building currently houses the Educare program and various administrative offices (social work
services, security, etc.).