RPS: A Mini History: Bits & Pieces

Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.

Hill (Albert H.) Junior High / Middle School 3400 Patterson Avenue (Corner of Patterson Avenue & Roseneath Road)

This part three-story building was designed to house the Richmond Normal School and was so named when it opened in September 1926. (The June 1927 report of School Architect Charles M. Robinson includes pictures of this building.) The exterior features ornate stone carvings.

The principal described the building: 'The offices, library, cafeteria, teachers' room, industrial education laboratory, and fourteen class rooms are situated on the first floor; on the second and third floors there are twenty-three rooms, the auditorium and the gymnasium. The gymnasium contains a basket ball court 13,800 square feet and is well equipped with apparatus. Conveniently adjacent are locker rooms and shower rooms. For out-door athletics there are courts for basket ball, volley ball and tennis."

The Normal School was discontinued in June 1933, as an economy measure in the Depression years, and the school was renamed Albert H. Hill for the former Superintendent of Richmond Public Schools 1919-33.

In 1934, a junior high school was added to the elementary grades and, together with the rapid growth of the West End, soon led to crowded conditions at Hill. The opening of Mary Munford School in 1951 gave temporary relief. To ease a crowded situation at Thomas Jefferson High School, ninth graders were retained at Albert Hill and the elementary grades were transferred in 1956 and 1957 to Cary and Lee.

Enrollment: 1926-1927 871 (K-7) + 109 (Normal)
  1934-1935 743 (K-6) + 372 (Junior High)
  1957-1958 978 (7-9)
  1991-1992 447 (6-8)
     
Architect:   Charles M. Robinson
     
Cost:   $396,000
     
Principals: 1926-1929 W. Daniel Ellis
  1929-1930 Horace R. Eckles
  1930-1951 W. Daniel Ellis
  1951-1958 William Wirt Brock
  1958-1959 Malcolm Upshur Pitt, Jr.
  1959-1960 Oscar Willard Fary, Jr.
  1960-1977 Clayton Henry Rechenbach
  1977-1980 Fred Thomas Stokes
  1980-1987 Roy Alexander West
  1987-1990 Edward Hughes Pruden
  1990- Bradford Joe Fellows
Login